The University of Massachusetts Civic Initiative is dedicated to promoting democracy through education in both the U.S. and abroad. Each year, we bring a select group of students, scholars, and professionals from around the world to the UMass Amherst campus for courses that examine modern politics and public policy.
Programs are designed for attendees to improve their leadership skills, increase their subject knowledge, and learn about U.S. culture. Our courses are based on engaging students through active learning, integrating classroom readings, lectures, and discussions with community-based, collaborative projects that offer practical, real-life experience.
Recent News & Updates
- Why did a local bus in Amherst, Massachusetts get transformed by Pakistani painters?
- Teaching Leadership the focus of summer Pakistan program
- Multiple Outlets: Pakistani artists transform local bus and teach culture in Amherst
- Pakistan television: UMass program trains teachers in learning-centered methods
- BizToday: Civic Initiative brings together alumni for Karachi entrepreneurship conference
- Greenfield Recorder: Southeast Asian scholar program gets dirty for cleanup
- A wealth of education for Iraqi young leaders this summer, on and off campus
- Pakistan college students wrap up entrepreneurship education program at UMass Amherst