The University of Massachusetts Civic Initiative is dedicated to promoting democracy through education in both the U.S. and abroad. Each year, we bring a select group of students, scholars, and professionals from around the world to the UMass Amherst campus for courses that examine modern politics and public policy.
Programs are designed for attendees to improve their leadership skills, increase their subject knowledge, and learn about U.S. culture. Our courses are based on engaging students through active learning, integrating classroom readings, lectures, and discussions with community-based, collaborative projects that offer practical, real-life experience.
Recent News & Updates
- A wealth of education for Iraqi young leaders this summer, on and off campus
- Pakistan college students wrap up entrepreneurship education program at UMass Amherst
- International professor group here to strengthen US curricula in their home countries
- Hampshire Gazette: Iraqi college students to hold July 25 fundraiser for Amherst Senior Center
- Multiple outlets: Chesterfield (MA) parade include international groups
- International groups descend on Amherst for classes and culture
- Pakistan trip in January 2017 covered in blog
- Pakistan professors join Grinspoon entrepreneur conference in Springfield