The University of Massachusetts Civic Initiative is dedicated to promoting democracy through education in both the U.S. and abroad. Each year, we bring a select group of students, scholars, and professionals from around the world to the UMass Amherst campus for courses that examine modern politics and public policy.
Programs are designed for attendees to improve their leadership skills, increase their subject knowledge, and learn about U.S. culture. Our courses are based on engaging students through active learning, integrating classroom readings, lectures, and discussions with community-based, collaborative projects that offer practical, real-life experience.
Recent News & Updates
- International groups descend on Amherst for classes and culture
- Pakistan trip in January 2017 covered in blog
- Pakistan professors join Grinspoon entrepreneur conference in Springfield
- Social entrepreneurship in Pakistan discussed at Harvard
- Hampshire Gazette: Presidential debate observations from the Civic Initiative
- Multiple outlets: SE Asian group helps clean up CT River
- Springfield Republican: Young southeast Asian leaders find surprises in their US stay
- Berkshire Eagle: Lecture on US elections given by Civic Initiative director