About Us: UMass Civic Initiative
The University of Massachusetts Civic Initiative is dedicated to promoting democracy through education in both the U.S. and abroad. Each year, we bring a select group of students, scholars, and professionals from around the world to the UMass Amherst campus for courses that examine modern politics and public policy.
Programs are designed for attendees to improve their leadership skills, increase their subject knowledge, and learn about U.S. culture. Our courses are based on engaging students through active learning, integrating classroom readings, lectures, and discussions with community-based, collaborative projects that offer practical, real-life experience.
Recent News & Updates
- During pandemic, Civic Initiative alumnus helps lead “My Home My School” in rural Pakistan
- International program alumni/staff from six continents talk about COVID19
- COVID-19: A Message to Our Clients, Partners, Colleagues and Friends (UPDATED)
- Pakistani college students study public policy and experience the U.S.
- Entrepreneurs from North Africa experience American business practices and culture
- Scholars from around world learn about U.S. political system
- Voice of America (Pashto): Exchange program share their summer experiences with Civic Initiative
- Express Tribune (Pakistan): Connecting bridges and spreading the colours of Pakistan to America