The University of Massachusetts Civic Initiative is dedicated to promoting democracy through education in both the U.S. and abroad. Each year, we bring a select group of students, scholars, and professionals from around the world to the UMass Amherst campus for courses that examine modern politics and public policy.
Programs are designed for attendees to improve their leadership skills, increase their subject knowledge, and learn about U.S. culture. Our courses are based on engaging students through active learning, integrating classroom readings, lectures, and discussions with community-based, collaborative projects that offer practical, real-life experience.
Recent News & Updates
- Pakistan 2019: In review
- Multiple outlets: Mike Hannahan discusses foreign policy in Peshawar, Pakistan
- Multiple outlets: Quaid-e-Azam school arranges ceremony in honour of American professor (Pakistan)
- Daily Parliament Times: UMass Civic Initiative conducts SUSI alumni workshop in Islamabad, Pakistan
- Why did a local bus in Amherst, Massachusetts get transformed by Pakistani painters?
- Teaching Leadership the focus of summer Pakistan program
- Multiple Outlets: Pakistani artists transform local bus and teach culture in Amherst
- Pakistan television: UMass program trains teachers in learning-centered methods